Sunday, June 14, 2015

Decadent Sweet Potato Mango – Carambola Chocolate Chip Upside Down Cake



So, I thought I'd see if I could do another variation of these cakes...then I realized I had no fruit - well, I had a Mammee Apple, but it's not ripe enough, I had about 7 windfall mangoes but only one was ripe enough and that wasn't enough fruit...dig, dig, dig in the fridge....currents and 2 small sweet Carambola...YaY! Baking time!

So for this one, this is how I did it:

Use 2 silicone loaf pans
Preheat oven to 350F

I pre-roasted some sweet potato in its skin – then sliced up the potato (removing skin) and roasted again so it was half dry – half moist. I put this through the blender so it was in smallish soft chunks. To this I added about a half cup of toasted dessicated coconut that had also been blended into a fairly fine crumb. Added about a ¼ cup brown rice flour, ½ tsp baking powder, ¼ tsp salt, 1Tablespoon cinnamon and ½ tsp nutmeg. Set that aside
Cream 3-4 oz Butter with a Tablespoon of Olive Oil and  2/3 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy. Dice 1 small medium-ripe mango (about 1/2 cup), mix with 2/3 cup currant and mix into creamed butter and sugar

Spread into bottom of pan and Sprinkle on about 1/3 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet dark is what I used)
 

Slice 2 small sweet Carambola and layer on top of all this


Chop about 1/3 cup roasted cashew nuts and sprinkle on top

Now chop up some unsweetened dark baking chocolate – about 3 squares and sprinkle on top 

Now I beat together 1 eggs, 1/3 cup oil and ½ cup brown sugar until well blended and fluffy
I added about a 1/3 cup plain yogurt to this and mixed it in. Then I mixed this with the sweet potato and flour mix -This is now spread on top of all the layers and sprinkled with a little left over toasted dessicated coconut

Pop in the oven and cook for about 30-40 mins
Let it cool on a rack for 10 minutes or so before turning out on to a plate.
 It tastes goooooooooood :)