Wednesday, August 8, 2012

See What We Can See...


So, it’s 10 to midnight and way, way….way past the time I should be sleeping – beauty sleep – these days in the ‘getting less young’ part of my life, it makes a big difference – staying up late emphatically equals feeling/looking like crap the next morning and wondering when it was that coffee stopped being so effective at waking up the senses…

Ah well, that’s just it – you have to take the price of whatever it is you are enjoying…if you are actually going to enjoy it – otherwise you’ll be one of those people perpetually stuck in the downward, painful cycle of rueing the ‘shortcomings’ of the life your dealt….focus on the good stuff; what it is/was/can be that you enjoy about your life, there-in lies the fulfilment.
Scarlet Flamboyant flowers carpet the rain-soaked road home
I know. I said I was going to take a hiatus from blogging and only post when I had an important event – but of course, as soon as I said that, I’ve had a slew of interesting events and also, people talking to me about my blogging…so here it is, 5 to midnight now, 3 nice vodka and tonics at the bar with my favourite name – Bambooze – chatting with a good friend Colette after a not overly impressive movie night seeing Total Rekall. Maybe it’s the ‘k’… sometimes the plain ol’ Jane is the real thing – Total Recall wins hands down!

So this last week the Universe decided I should have the opportunity to focus on appreciating things for just what they are – this lesson I got in a surprising number of ways today – correspondence with a long lost, lately recognized love; talking about talking with an interesting guy I’ve never met who lives in a compound in war torn Iraq; an old flame who despite my most diligent efforts to be open, I can’t see as anything but an empty vessel…prospect of members of my group of ‘Sunday Beach Crew’ leaving, finding a life elsewhere; working with a visiting old friend and colleague with whom I am undertaking a project to somewhat stay the loss of our traditional pottery craft…and it poured down today – in opportunities for reflection and literally, in that lovely heavy tropical rain that makes me want to just take any excuse to step outside and get drenched. And not least, the imminent departure of my sister and niece who are moving to England…it would be easy to dwell on the hardships, losses, challenges that could be, but it’s much more worthwhile, enjoyable, effective a use of time to focus on what is/has/can be good about it all

So driving home in the pouring rain, while wondering just how soaked I’d get now that I have to get out of the car and open and close our new gate, I was struck by the beauty of the black tarmac road, strewn with flowers – White Cedar and nearer home, the scarlet red of the Flambouyant trees that create brilliant shaded bridges over the road…we see what we see – nothing more, nothing less. What we get out of life depends entirely on what we are prepared to let life give us, whether we live in ‘luxury’ in ‘poverty’ or ‘confined’ to a place, be it small island or compound…that’s what I think; every one has its challenges and its gifts- our challenge is to see what we can see…
Glass Full...