Wednesday, November 9, 2011

…Clouds …Add Colour to My Sunset Sky


In a short email received from a friend yesterday, aside from an unusual –and good read - short story attached, the following quote was nestled comfortably in-between the note and the attachment

The clouds that come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher a storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.
Rabindranauth Tagore

It would be appropriate at any time, but yesterday was a good day, good moment, to have such a little drop of wisdom fall in my lap; I had been spending my morning, after the evening before, turning my sister’s apartment upside down in search of my lost passport and was just getting to a point of miserable frustration, when I took a coffee break at the computer and found that humble little reminder.

It made me smile.

During in my fruitless passport search, at one point I’d rummaged through a box of old photos– I knew it wouldn’t be in there, but once I caught a glimpse of one old picture that made me smile, I knew it was a bit of a silver lining, so I kept on rummaging and came out with a stack of happy memories. 

Call it what you will – Life is what you make it, Clouds have silver Linings, Carpe Diem, Choose to be happy, ‘failure’ is the best learning tool – whatever.  It is a choice though, to see the colours in the sunsets, to enjoy the smell of wet earth when the rain pours down… the personal comfort and power that comes from choosing not to let problems be your ‘be-all-and-end-all’ and choosing instead to upgrade them to challenges, opportunities for something as perhaps yet unidentified, but you know it will be good – if you let it.

I missed my ‘jump-seat flight for fun’ with my sister yesterday because I lost my passport, but I gained some good photos full of memories of a full life… gained a difficult, but needed reminder that I have much left to sort out and get on with in life, and a new way – that uses my oh so favourite sunsets - to express one of life’s simple truths.

You may never get all that you want, for sure, but life, is truly what you make of it.
Sunset over Colombette