Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Options and Opportunity

I started writing last night and ended up with a review of my journey in life; I’ll probably still share that with you, but I ain’t finished writing it yet. My aim though, was to consider the options and opportunities of life, so here are a few thoughts to sprinkle on your breakfast this morning.

I’m not sure if you’re like me and look around sometimes and wonder what you missed, how come you’re whatever age and still not set. What is it that allows some people to get ahead and prosper and others, no matter how hard they try, not to make it? I think a lot of people consider thoughts like these from time to time.

The Desiderata, Max Ehrmann, 1927 exhorts us “If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.” I do agree with Mr Ehrmann, especially that last sentence, but whether becoming vain and bitter are your only options – that I don’t accept. I’ve been comparing myself with others all my livelong life and yes, there have been bitter moments and the odd few vain ones too, but even a long time ago I cottoned on to the idea that a bit of self-critique could be a good thing and how else you will get that done without comparing yourself with others? As we say in Lucia, m’a sav! (I don’t know)

The thing is – what’s your objective? What are you looking for? If you’re gonna just tear yourself down then you’ll just end up feeling a lot less than the trees and the stars and wondering what right they had to put you here. But if you’re looking for options and trying to see and partake of the opportunities that surround us all, then analyze away because you’ll soon find that while you may not be where you would like to have been at this point in time, you have much on your achievements slate to work with it’s not at all impossible to change from this point forward.

Our past is an important part of what or who we are, but whether we’ve “failed” or “succeeded” it’s still the decisions and actions of the moment that will make us who we are going to be. There are many quotes on opportunity out there but this one seems to fit my thoughts:

“The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” Winston Churchill

There may be mountains in your path, but somewhere there is a way up, over or around. I’m going to take a breath, look back, look forward, smile at myself and go pluck some opportunities.


one of my early opportunities plucked?
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Alphabet Attitude: I is for Imagination